The founder of Nissin, Momofuku Ando
Born on March 5, 1910
Graduated from Ritsumeikan University with a degree in economics.
Received an Honorary Doctorate from Ritsumeikan University.
1958, the age of 48
Succeeded in developing “Chicken Ramen”, the world’s first instant noodle product, and established Nissin Foods Products., Ltd.
1971, the age of 61
Developed “Cup Noodles”, the world’s first instant noodle product in a cup. While running Nissin Food Products, he concurrently served in public posts such as President of the Japan Convenience Foods Industry Association, Chairman of the Ando Foundation and Chairman of World Instant Noodles Association (WINA).
1996, at the age of 86
Established the Food Creation Association to honor and encourage food developers and venture entrepreneurs which are contributing to the research, development and dissemination creative activities that produce new food.
1999, at the age of 89
Established The Momofuku Ando Instant Ramen Museum in Ikeda, Osaka to educate the young generation about the importance of invention and to promote “food education”.
2007, at the age of 96
Passed away on January 5, 2007.
Medals and Awards:
||Order of the Sacred Treasure, Second Class
||Director-General of Science and Technology Agency, Award of Science and Technology Deserving Person
||Honorary Citizenship of Ikeda, Osaka
||Order of the Rising Sun, Second Class
||Order of the Rising Sun, Court Rank of Senior Fourth Rank
|The United States
||Honorary Citizenship of Los Angeles, California
||Order of the Southern Cross
||King Rama IX Royal Cypher Medal
- Legwork on Japanese Cuisine: A Satisfised Appetite Makes the World Peaceful (Kodansha Ltd.)
- Travelling the Noodle Road (Kodansha Ltd.)
- Escape from Difficulties (Foodium Communication)
- The Story of the Invention of Magic Ramen: My Resume (The Nihon Keizai Shimbun, Inc. / Chinese translation by Shanghai People’s Publishing House)
- Instant Noodles Inventor: Momofuku Ando Speaks (Chuokoron-Shinsha, Inc.)
- Stay Healthy for A Century: Momofuku Ando’s Wisdom of Food Travel (Chuokoron-Shinsha, Inc.)